Edit Content

Non-Hong Kong residents who possess special skills, knowledge and has expertise which is not readily available in Hong Kong may apply before concerned Hong Kong immigration authority for a work visa with the intention to work under the General Employment Policy (GEP). In simple words, if any person wishes to enter in Hong Kong for employment, investment, education, training, or residence is required to obtain a valid entry visa.


A non-resident, willing to work in Hong Kong having expertise and qualification can apply for work visa under the General Employment Policy (GEP). Hong Kong immigration authority will consider the following things while approving the employment visa:

  • Applicant should hold valid travel documents (Passport).
  • Applicant has submitted a supporting document that he has no criminal record and raise no security or criminal concerns to Hong Kong.
  • The business by the applicant must beneficial to Hong Kong’s economy, industry and trade.
  • Necessity of employment of the applicant.
  • Applicant must prove that he possesses specialized skill that is not readily available in Hong Kong.


Hong Kong companies may sponsor the foreign national to work for them and apply for employment on their employee’s behalf. Any person who wants to apply for a work visa, irrespective of categories need to have a sponsorship from a Hong Kong company and the applicant should have intention to work with that concerned company.


  • It is the duty of sponsor to apply for a work visa on behalf of the applicant before applicant’s arrival in Hong Kong.
  • If the applicant enters into Hong Kong as a visitor, it is the duty of the sponsor to ensure that the applicant should not commence any work until he obtains work visa.
  • It is the duty of the sponsor to inform the Hong Kong Immigration Department about the working status of the applicant.
  • It is the duty of the sponsor to repatriate the applicant in his or her original country of residence at the expiration of work visa.


  • As per current immigration policy, any person who wishes to work in Hong Kong should possess a distinctive skill, knowledge, or value which is not readily available in Hong Kong.
  • It should be ensured by work visa holder that he will only work with sponsor company.
  • In case of employment change the applicant shall apply for change of employment before the Immigration Department through new employer and only after such approval, he can commence the work with new employer.
  • Under the exception provided by the Immigration Department, the dependent of the person holding an employment visa can work in Hong Kong under the dependent’s residency visa.


From employee:

  • Employment visa application form;
  • Employment offer letter;
  • Valid passport;
  • 2-3 recent photographs;
  • Qualification certificate, and other relevant documents;
  • Travel and health insurance.

From employer:

  • Employment form of foreign professionals;
  • Photocopy of the employment contract which includes candidate’s designation, salary, benefits and duration of employment;
  • Photocopy of company’s registration certificate with Hong Kong Government.

The certified documents submitted before the Immigration Department should be in English or Chinese language.


Under a General Employment Policy, a visa extension of two years is granted for the first time, while extending for the second time it will be valid for additional two years, further for the third time it will be valid for a period of three years.

Want to know more about our Immigration Services? Get in touch.

Got A Question?

Inquire Now

Want to know more about our services?

About Us

Chandrawat & Partners is a leading full service firm. We provide a wide range of high quality consulting services to domestic and international clients. With a strong network of professional advisors worldwide, we have a wealth of first hand experience and expertise in providing effective solutions to the complex issues.

Chandrawat & Partners uses cookies to run our site and improve its usability.

By using our site you agree to our use of Cookies.